The Marais Project is a celebration of music for the viola da gamba inspired by Marin Marais, the great French virtuoso viola da gamba performer and composer. Formed by Jennifer Eriksson in 2000, in 2019 the ensemble celebrated its first twenty years with the release of our seventh CD, “The Garden Party.” The ensemble’s original aim was to perform the complete works of Marais – a monumental task which is more than 85% complete. However, over the years we have extended our repertoire beyond the French baroque to include folk music, mediaeval and renaissance repertoire as well as commissioning and recording new Australian works. The Marais Project is the 2019-20 Ensemble in Residence at Fine Music 102.5.
Our recordings are available on this site as well as from MOVE Records, CD Baby, Bandcamp and iTunes. Streaming via Apple Music and Spotify.
Past and current artists include: Jennifer Eriksson, Catherine Upex, Leif Henrikson, Tommie Andersson, Fiona Ziegler; Belinda Montgomery; Koen van Stade, Matthew Bruce, Daniel Yeadon, Mikaela Oberg, Shaun Ng, Melissa Farrow, Susie Bishop, Elsen Price, Steve Elphick, Emily-Rose Šárkova, Anna Sandstrom, Paul Cutlan, David Hidden, Raymond Harvey, Josie Ryan, Pascal Herrington and Anthony Abouhamad.
Collaborators: The Muffat Collective, The Early Dance Consort, “Mara!, jazz pianist and composer Kevin Hunt, Elysian Fields and Sydney Chamber Choir. Composers: Stephen Yates, Rosalind Page, Emily-Rose Šárkova, Dan Walker, Tommie Andersson, Paul Cutlan, Matt McMahon, Llew and Mara Kiek, Emily-Rose Šárkova and Matthew Perry.
- Light-hearted yet tasteful, serious but entertaining, The Garden Party is an irresistible treat. 4.5 stars! – Fine Music Magazine
- Sumptuously recorded, (the CD’s) bass notes are as sonorous as the voice of a great baritone, the high ones diaphanous – Sydney Morning Herald
- A beautiful and varied collection of early and recent music for Baroque ensemble – The Music Trust
- Eriksson has created an ensemble that performs this thoughtful programme with brilliant musicianship. It is an intimate recording, rich in detail – Sounds Like Sydney
- Under the curating of Jenny Eriksson, the Marais Project continues to present unusual and engaging programs of first-rate quality – ClassikON
- (an) impeccably performed and hugely enjoyable musical smorgasbord – Limelight Magazine
- A culture beauty of tone and a confidence that placed her among the viola da gambist worth going a long way to hear – Sydney Morning Herald
Follow us on Instagram
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.