The Marais Project is a celebration of music for the viola da gamba inspired by Marin Marais, the great French virtuoso viola da gamba performer and composer. Formed by Jennifer Eriksson in 2000, our original aim was to perform the complete viola da gamba works of Marais – a monumental task which is more than 85% complete. However, over the years we have extended our repertoire beyond the French baroque to include folk music, mediaeval and renaissance repertoire, 19th century Australian songs as well as commissioning and recording many new Australian works. The Marais Project has released nine albums, was the 2019-20 Ensemble in Residence at Fine Music 102.5, and broadcasts regularly on the ABC and Australian Digital Concert Hall.
Past and current collaborators include Jennifer Eriksson, Catherine Upex, Leif Henrikson, Tommie Andersson, Fiona Ziegler; Hildigunnur and Hallveig Rúnarsdóttir, Duo Langborn/Wendel, Belinda Montgomery, Tim Blomfield, Koen van Stade, Matthew Bruce, Daniel Yeadon, Mikaela Oberg, Shaun Ng, Melissa Farrow, Susie Bishop, Elsen Price, Steve Elphick, Emily-Rose Šárkova, Anna Sandstrom, Paul Cutlan, Matt McMahaon, David Hidden, Raymond Harvey, Josie Ryan, Pascal Herrington, and Anthony Abouhamad.
Recordings are available on this site as well as from MOVE Records, Buywell Music, Bandcamp and iTunes. Streaming on all major platforms.
- The pieces on this album (Australian Monody) have been meticulously curated to explore universal themes from multiple perspectives. The unity of purpose imbued in the performances is a delight. – Loudmouth e-zine
- Light-hearted yet tasteful, serious but entertaining, The Garden Party is an irresistible treat. 4.5 stars! – Fine Music Magazine
- Sumptuously recorded, (the CD’s) bass notes are as sonorous as the voice of a great baritone, the high ones diaphanous – Sydney Morning Herald
- A beautiful and varied collection of early and recent music for Baroque ensemble – The Music Trust
- Eriksson has created an ensemble that performs this thoughtful programme with brilliant musicianship. It is an intimate recording, rich in detail – Sounds Like Sydney
- Under the curation of Jenny Eriksson, the Marais Project continues to present unusual and engaging programs of first-rate quality – ClassikON
- (an) impeccably performed and hugely enjoyable musical smorgasbord – Limelight Magazine
- A cultured beauty of tone and a confidence that placed her among the viola da gambist worth going a long way to hear – Sydney Morning Herald